Friday 13 January 2017

Fri 13th Jan: An unlucky date for sure

I can't recall a worse week for dogs and puppies being returned, with the reasons ranging across the board.  Allergies, landlord refusing permission, childhood fear of dogs resurfacing and so on, and it's very difficult to stay positive when dealing with this on top of everything else.  It's not the fault of the adopters but nor is it the dogs either, it's just that all of these cases seem to have happened in such a short space of time.  This stage will pass, as all other bad periods have, and hopefully before too long.

I know why little Smokey was given up
Still it's better for dogs and puppies to come back to us rather than the alternative of being dumped at AFCD, just like the beautiful dog I took out today.  She had been surrendered by her owner, a Westerner, and maybe someone will recognise the dog from her photo and be able to tell me why.  The worst thing about getting dogs from AFCD is that we know nothing about them and the reason for them being abandoned.  Sometimes it's obvious, like with a schnauzer I took out the other day who had a very large mammary tumour (now removed), or Smokey the poodle with the itchy skin. However many times it's a mystery, and on top of that we have no medical record either so have to start from scratch for everything.  At least with the dogs that come directly to us we can ask about health and behaviour and know the reason for the dog being given up.

Do you know Zoe?
I called today's dog Zoe and to me she was the sweetest girl, as well as being beautiful.  If you know her, or even if she used to be yours, please let me know.  It's not about berating the ex-owner, it's because I want to help now-Zoe find the best possible home.

Coolio last month at Whiskers N Paws
One of the dogs that is coming back to us is Coolio (Chase), along with these words "Just to re-emphasise that this is not Chase's fault. He's a lovely dog. I am very happy to be contacted by any future adopter".

Soya is such a sweet dog
There was good news too to counter the bad, with one of our sweetest Ap Lei Chau dogs leaving for her new home today.  I'd been watching Soya playing with a ball earlier on in the afternoon, and Andrea told me that was her favourite thing, pretending the ball was alive and catching it before pushing it away again.  I suspect that dogs who amuse themselves like this have learned to do so because they haven't had anyone to play with as a puppy so self-entertainment is a necessity.  Either way it was very touching to watch, and I was more than happy to approve Soya's adoption just a short time later.

Maybe Sunday will turn the week around and we'll see lots of puppies being adopted and staying for ever in their new homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment