Saturday 14 January 2017

Sat 14th Jan: Luck and chance play a big part

It's hard to see Smokey, but he's there
It's always nice to know that people read my blog, especially when it results in a dog finding a home. After posting something about little poodle Smokey yesterday he was offered a home, and by early afternoon he had left our Homing Centre to start his new life (with another ex-HKDR poodle, Candy-now-Scarlet).   If anyone else was interested in adopting a poodle, we have two more coming on Monday and another one hopefully being released from AFCD after a long wait.
I'm really so happy for Silo

I had already formed  a special bond with Silo, another Ap Lei Chau dog, and maybe it was because he reminded me so much of corgi-cross Olive in his looks and behaviour, but also because he seemed to know somehow that I had rescued him from near death.  His initial fear when he was first abandoned at AFCD had put a question mark over his suitability for re-homing, but he was immediately loving and affectionate with me so I was allowed to take him.  In fact he has been nothing but lovely ever since, and I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't gone into his kennel myself, or how many other sweet dogs are killed just because they are terrified.   Anyway, today Silo became part of a new family and I wish him much happiness and fun.

Bought and dumped within a few days
Luck and chance play a big part in a rescue animal's life, and it was luck that saved another young puppy that was found dumped by a garbage collection point, along with a couple of bags of medicine. The puppy was brought to our Tai Po Homing Centre and the vet clinic whose name was on the packets of medicine contacted. They told us that a woman had brought the puppy in the day before saying it had vomiting and diarrhoea but had refused to pay for the recommended hospitalisation. By then the pup was already on its way to Acorn where tests confirmed parvovirus infection and he's now receiving supportive care with a 50/50 chance of recovery.  Again luck plays a big part when it comes to a disease like parvovirus, but treatment for the symptoms is also important of course, and had the puppy not been found and brought to us it would have died for sure.
Jax and his siblings will be at Whiskers N Paws


We have so many baby puppies now that Whiskers N Paws on Sunday is going to look like a puppy market, but at least two little ones won't be going.  I had a visit from some across-the-bay neighbours today, and they left with two new family members.  I forgot to take a photo, or rather forgot to carry my phone with me, so I'll have to ask for some to be sent.  There are so many more that need homes or fosters, so please come along and take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment