Tuesday 24 January 2017

Tues 24th Jan: Listening to our dogs

Baby Ottilie in 2005
I've written before about being aware of subtle signs that something's not right with a dog, as there are often warnings that are too easy to miss or ignore.  I let my Ottilie go today after there was no improvement in her condition and it would have been cruel to allow her to continue in her helpless state, and I have to thank Dr Tony for advising that I should do so and relieving me of the decision. Of course I needed to agree, but I had already had the question in my head and was ready to ask if it was time.  Ottilie (Otty) slipped away so peacefully as I held her that it took me a moment to even realise the "pink liquid" had been injected via the drip line and she had gone.

I was thinking back over the past couple of weeks and remembering how Ottilie had woken me every night with the sound of her nails click-clacking on the metal spiral staircase as she was half trying to come upstairs to be with me, but not really having the courage to change the habit of a lifetime of sleeping downstairs.  I couldn't work out what she wanted or why she was doing it, and it's only now that I understand she was trying to let me know that something was wrong or was about to happen.  I have kicked myself in the past for having noticed odd behaviour in my dogs but not having acted on it, and then the dog suddenly dying.  It's not that I could have done anything to prevent what happened to any of them, but I would have been more attentive and prepared.  I have made a mental note to listen to my dogs better when they have something important to say.

There are two of these creamy bears
Life goes on, and with every passing there are new lives coming into the world and I took six of them out of AFCD today, gorgeous puppies who had been surrendered by someone I assume had the mother.  I couldn't help but notice that the puppies I'd seen last week had all disappeared, and assume it was because there were visitors at the Animal Management Centre being shown around and a "clean up" was in order.  I try not to dwell on these wasted lives who are born to die because I would not be able to cope if I did,  but somewhere in my consciousness there is a note made of every dog and puppy that I see one day and who is gone the next.  Who could or would do the job of dispatching so many lives is something I will never understand, just as I can't believe anyone would choose to work in a slaughterhouse which is just one reason why I haven't eaten meat for decades.
Woody pup

Today's puppies are around six weeks old and will need to go to foster homes as there will be no puppy adoption afternoon at Whiskers N Paws this coming Sunday (Chinese New Year).  As they are still so young we would really prefer them to go in pairs, so anyone who can help please contact Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com.  Cindy herself will be taking off for the Lunar New Year break, and then all enquiries should be directed to me at sally@hongkongdogrescue.com.

Murphy got a big gift today in the shape of an amazing buggy, a special dog cart that I can use on our walks rather than having to carry him for half of the way.  It's actually big enough for Bali too, and he is much more in need of some wheels now that he can barely stumble along the path. I know I will soon be facing that awful decision again and hope that I get some signs which will let me know it's time.



No comments:

Post a Comment