Monday 3 January 2022

Mon 3 Jan: A dog's never too old to start again

Oliver 

 Driver Ming picked up the Frenchie and three puppies from AFCD Sheung Shui first thing, and they're now at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre.  I called the French bulldog Oliver and he's eleven years old, a cruel age to abandon a family member.  He's a friendly boy, so if anyone can offer him a forever home please start by completing the adoption questionnaire at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/
Three more puppies arrived today


There were also three puppies at AFCD, and I have to wonder where on earth are all the puppies coming from?  Talking to other rescue groups I know HKDR isn't the only one completely snowed under with puppies, and with constant requests to take more. The situation is out of control and I really do believe that it's an issue that needs to be addressed once again on a government level.  We come back to the question of why TNR (Trap, Neuter and Return) is being left to individual volunteers, and why the HK Government has consistently refused to confront the problem.  It's always been a case of passing the blame, of saying the local District Councillors don't agree, or whatever, but there's a pressing need to bypass such objections and get something done.  A female dog can come into season as young as five months of age, which means having puppies while still a puppy herself.  An average litter for a medium or large dog is eight puppies, and assuming half of those are female then in just five short months they will also be ready to mate.  You can see how quickly the problem escalates.  It's a very hard and sad life for any stray or homeless dog, but for females it's really quite tragic. 

It's not all bad news though, as we received this heartwarming update from the adopter of ex-Tai Po dog Prada, now international traveller/adventurer. 

Prada in Germany

 “I wanted to give a brief life update: Prada first moved with me to Germany, and will move in two weeks to Switzerland where I will start my new job. She will now become a mountain doggo!
Prada was such a trooper on the flight, she survived it without much confusion and settled super quickly in my parents home. I was a bit stressed before, as I managed it alone and the flight got rescheduled to 2 weeks earlier. I think she also felt that and is now even happier that she can chill with me.
She was so, so excited on her first walk at a chilly 10 degree, across the fields, with many new plants to sniff. She has already met birds, deers, horses and a squirrel. It seems as if she ages reversly, following me in a fast gallop when she sniffs a plant too long, and she has shown some impressive jumps. She certainly sleeps deeper, waking mommy up with deep, satisfied snorring. I cannot wait for to see snow.
Thank you again, for taking such good care of her for the first 9 years of her life. I couldn't feel more blessed, having brought this doggo into my life.”
Prada's adoption at 9 years of age


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful message from Prada's owners. XXX Happy to read a success story.

    ReplyDelete