Thursday 2 December 2021

Thurs 2nd Dec: Two more to start the month

Back to being Bimble again

 The adopter of one of our puppies in 2019 turned up today without warning to surrender the dog, a medium-sized female whose name was Bimble when she was with us. Looking back at past emails I see that there was another female in the home, and I understand that the two dogs didn't get on, resulting in a fight (or fights).  I've mentioned this situation previously, the problem that can arise when two female dogs fall out, and the fact that this can happen very suddenly and without any apparent reason.  The thing is, there's no going back once the fights start, and they can be serious, so while I understand this man's urgent desire to get rid of one of the dogs it's not acceptable to simply turn up and assume we will just deal with it.  Anyway, Bimble is now back with us as a reminder about what I always suggest to anyone looking to adopt a second dog, or two puppies together.  Two males can be fine and almost always are, and two females can be very close too but if they fall out then there's trouble.  The ideal pairing is a male and a female if you want to be sure that they will be friends for life.  

Klondike


Another new dog arrived today as well, this one a Samoyed coming to Tai Po.  He's four years old and was the victim in a cruelty case, the dog's front teeth having been punched or kicked out by the ex-owner.  The dog, now called Klondike and obviously large, had been kept in a tiny apartment, and I know this seems to be thought of as perfectly acceptable by many.   I know that because I see the adoption applications for large dogs from people living in very small homes, and it saddens me to know the miserable lives so many dogs are forced to endure.   We will need to assess Klondike's behaviour in case his previous treatment has affected him at all, but if you're interested in a Samoyed (currently shaved, not sure why) please complete the adoption questionnaire at www.hongkongdogresue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/.  Obviously only a home without children will be considered, and large enough to comfortably accommodate  a big dog.

Palmer heading home

Thankfully it wasn't all bad news today as the last of the "P Intake" terriers was adopted. His name was Palmer, and I'm not sure if I included the previous brother's (Pax) adoption photo from Monday.  Anyway,  that particular family are all in homes now. 
I think I missed Pax's adoption photo

No comments:

Post a Comment