Thursday 18 November 2021

Thurs 18th Nov: Letting go, and falling in love again

Tamsin's the one behind


Adorable little Tamsin was finally adopted today, and as always I wish her the very best life possible. 

Unfortunately not every adoption works out and some dogs or puppies end up being returned after just a short time.  We're always willing to take any of our dogs back, whatever their age, because if it's not working then neither side is happy and that's not what any of us want.  However I do want to remind everyone that dogs are not machines that can be switched off and on, and that it's a hugely traumatic thing for them to suddenly be thrust into the middle of a new home and family, especially if there are children who immediately want to love and cuddle their new pet.  I'm also not someone who feels comfortable with strangers so I fully appreciate that there are many dogs who just need some time to get to know the people they're now living with.  Every situation is different, and the reasons for a dog being returned vary too, but please do your thinking before you bring a dog home.  Just as any expectant parents would read and learn everything they could before a new baby was born, new dog parents should do the same kind of research. 

I let my Lamma dog Fido go today after the tumour in his mouth, which had just recently been removed, grew back almost immediately to the point where he couldn't eat, or even drink.  The actual process of euthanising a dog, especially a very sick one, is over in a matter of seconds, and for me it's the build-up to that moment that's the hardest part, not the act itself.  In this case Fido was more than ready and there was no doubt in my mind that it was the right thing to do, and the right time. 

Raisin will be a small/medium sized adult

After leaving ALCVC I walked down to the Homing Centre for some puppy love Puppy Adoption Day 14th Nov 2021, and sat down on one of the Kuranda beds where I was instantly surrounded by the dogs and puppies.  Little Lacey was very enthusiastic in her determination to be noticed and cuddled, and she's such a lovely little girl, quite impossible to resist.  Raisin is another adorable and very small puppy girl with floppy ears and a distinctive dome head, and she too was more than happy to snuggle in my arms. 
Lacey will be a medium sized adult


Many of the others that came to greet me had been quite shy when they first arrived, but one by one they're letting their guard down and opening up.  More than any other I was so happy to see scruffy terrier River not only approach me, but actually want to play, and I wonder who the lucky family will be who get to take this beautiful young girl home (watch this video of River: https://www.facebook.com/HKDR.DOGGIES/videos/801533650656804).  After just a short time with the dogs and puppies my feeling of sadness had already been lifted, because how can you not smile when surrounded by so much eager love.

While walking the streets on Wednesday in the search for new premises for the small dog Homing Centre, someone recognised me (my hair is pretty distinctive).  She said she had adopted before but her dog had since died, and she was still too heartbroken to get another.  I know this is an individual choice, but for me the option of keeping grief alive or letting a new puppy heal the sadness is a "no brainer".  I'm sure any dog, if they were able to talk, would want another rescued dog or puppy to be able to enjoy the love they had received while they were alive,  and while you will never replicate a much-loved companion there are so many different kinds of dogs out there desperately needing a home.  The healing power of love in a puppy-shaped body never fails to work wonders. 


No comments:

Post a Comment