Thursday 26 January 2017

Thurs 26th Jan: Bertha needs a miracle

These two little ones have a forever home
I was just thinking I had the puppy situation sorted out for the Lunar New Year when I found that another young litter of six had been surrendered to AFCD.  In fact I'd gone to take out an older puppy, a lovely and very friendly boy, but was told he hadn't had his release papers signed yet so he would have to stay (I don't even want to get started on the lunacy of the policies).  So instead of that one puppy I left with the six babies and the challenge of finding foster homes, thankful that Cindy hadn't yet left for her own holiday.  Potentially I think we have just about all of them spoken for, but there are a few "maybes" that are making me nervous.   Anyway there was great news about the two polar bear pups as both will be staying in their new for ever.  I admit it would be just about impossible to have to choose between them when they are so alike and so adorably friendly.
If all goes well we won't be seeing Zoe again

Woody is still available, and who would not want this fluffy bear

Hopefully today's new intake will be my last before the New Year break, but of course we will be open for business any time before after and during, although not at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday.  I will be posting my blog with any news and updates, and with luck that will includes lots of adoption stories too.   Sweet Zoe left Tai Po for a trial today, and maybe there will be others.

There always seems to be sad news to spoil things, and today it was about bulldog Bertha.  As you know, she came to us from a breeder with all sorts of life-threatening health issues, not to mention being covered in fleas.  Emergency surgery sorted out the immediate problems but she still had heartworm that needed treatment, and unfortunately it seemed that she also had tick fever as her red cell count was dropping.   I agreed to give her a shot of Berenil, the easiest and quickest way of treating tick fever even though it carries some risks.  In all of the years I've been in dog rescue I've only seen two cases of very young puppies dying after having been given Berenil, so I no longer choose that option in those situations.  However with Bertha being an adult I agreed to the treatment, but sadly it turned out to be a bad call.  Bertha started having seizures and was immediately admitted to hospital but the prognosis is poor.

We need a miracle for Bertha
Of all the dogs it's those that have been rescued from breeders that always need the most veterinary treatment, and although it's definitely worth it when you see them change so dramatically both physically and mentally, it's doubly devastating when things don't work out that way.  Bertha was on the brink of starting a new life free of the burden of constant breeding and being butchered to give birth (bulldogs have to have caesarians, and it seems it's done by amateurs), and now it's unlikely that will happen. I'm hoping for a miracle but expecting the worst just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers and blessings to dear sweet Bertha. An early Gung Hei Fat Choy to Bertha, Sally and all the HKDR staff and volunteers. Rooting for you all the way from Richmond, BC Canada.

    ReplyDelete