Monday 26 September 2022

Mon 26th Sept: The perfect dog

The emails I most hate receiving are those that begin with "It is with a heavy heart", that most cliched of phrases which immediately makes me want to stop reading any further.   The heavy heart belongs to the dog who's about to lose its home and family, not the person sending the email, and I know I share this sentiment with many other animal rescuers I talk to. 

I really thought Adam had hit the jackpot when he was adopted

Today's heavy heart belongs to all of us who met and knew Adam, the beautiful young German shepherd(ish), whose happy update I shared only recently.  He's being returned because he probably had distemper when he was a puppy (the visible signs being his dirty-looking teeth), and the adopters only want a perfect dog.  I'm left speechless with this one because I really thought they loved Adam, and he was clearly very happy in the home.  He's being returned on Tuesday, and we need a new home for him as soon as possible, meaning immediately.   Adam is a gorgeous dog in every way, and if you can offer him space in your home please complete the adoption questionnaire at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/.

Aiden is adopted! 

I'm happy to say that not everyone demands perfection in the dogs they adopt, and today another genuine distemper survivor from the same intake as Adam found his forever home.  This boy is Aiden, the one who had to have a front leg amputated to allow him to walk properly, as the leg swung non-stop as a result of post-distemper neurological damage.  Thank you to Aiden's new family, clearly genuine dog lovers. 

Aimi is missing the end of one leg


We also have an offer of a home for the shiba inu puppy Aimi, the one with the end of one leg missing.  We're still waiting to find out if she's a suitable candidate for having a prosthetic fitted or if amputation is going to be necessary, but with way she has been promised a home. 

Dogs accept their shortcomings without question, never even understanding that the way they are isn't the way they're supposed to be.  It really doesn't matter to them as long as they are loved, fed and taken care of. 


 This video popped up on my YouTube feed, and I thought it was interesting as it's a subject I've covered several times before.  As unfashionable as it seems to be these days to say there's a genetic difference between males and females, I'm a believer in nature and to me there's a definite difference, and that applies to dogs as well as any other animal.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwPEdUshO38

No comments:

Post a Comment