Friday 23 July 2021

Fri 23rd July: As one life ends, new ones begin


 It's Flag Day on Saturday, and I hope many of you will be out looking for our volunteers on the streets of Hong Kong Island, especially after early morning rain cooled things down somewhat.  Along with everyone else I was melting today when walking around, so I'm pleased that awful hot haze has lifted. 

Griffin wanted to join me again!


Thank you for your messages of concern about Griffin, and just so you know what a joker he is he insisted on accompanying me to the sampan today when I had to take another sick dog, Cinder, over to Acorn.   In fact Griffin seemed to be really excited about this early afternoon outing, something he's never even attempted before, so I think he's fine.   Very sadly however it was Cinder's final journey as an ultrasound showed he was suffering from splenic torsion, meaning the spleen had twisted, cutting off blood supply.  Everything happened at the time of the mini typhoon earlier in the week meaning I couldn't get over to Hong Kong from Lamma, and then I had to decide who to take first, Griffin or Cinder. With Cinder needing a blood transfusion before any surgery could be attempted, I didn't want him to suffer any longer.   As with all of my Lamma dogs I can remember Cinder as a very cute baby puppy when he arrived twelve years ago, and I know he had a happy life so there are no regrets about that. 

New boy Tommy

As Cinder's story ended, four new arrivals continued the never-ending cycle.  Three of these were puppies, and one small-sized young boy, now called Tommy.  While the pups went straight to foster homes, Tommy stayed at Ap Lei Chau and will be going for his check-up and vaccinations on Saturday.  He wasn't microchipped so the age is just an estimate, but we were told he's around four years old.  I'll share photos of the puppies once we know that they're healthy, but they're really very cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment