Tuesday 3 July 2018

Tues 3rd July: Two new Diamonds

Lena is 6 years old and very sweet
I know many of you were shocked by yesterday's stories about the two dogs, the caged golden retriever and the poor poodle, so I'll start by updating on the pair as they both went to Acorn today.  First the good news is that Lena, the retriever, is fine other than she is a bit scared of life outside her small prison, but she is incredibly sweet-natured and loves affection.  She's not what I would call a classic example of the breed when it comes to looks, more a Hong Kong breeder version, but that isn't important.  What matters is that she's free and can look forward to the rest of her life in a real home.
How can we make him happy?


Sadly there was nothing good about the poodle's health report, as the legs are inoperable as I suspected, plus he has Cushings disease and a heart murmur, as well as a floppy jaw.  Dr Tony recommended euthanasia as being the kindest option given that the alternative would be a life spent lying in diapers and unable to even stand.  I know this is true, but after breaking the news to the Ap Lei Chau team I lay awake during the night trying to come up with ideas on how to give the poodle a last few happy days, and even wondering if wheels and hydrotherapy would make a difference.  I have a carry pouch at home that was too small for Murphy, one that straps the dog to your front, so I was imagining using it for carrying the poodle around so he could enjoy getting out and about without needing his legs. This boy is such a sweet dog, and happy too, and it seems so unfair that he has suffered so much.  First I need to give him a name which reflects his courage, and I'm working on that.

The 2 puppies at AFCD look like baby Diamond
I took a look at the new puppies at AFCD when I took Lena, the retriever, for her rabies vaccination, and there are a pair of black fluffies that immediately reminded me of my Diamond, who was recently killed by a cobra.  This pair of male and female aren't babies, and I'd guess they are three to four months old and so friendly and waggy-tailed.  I would love to take one home to be my new Diamond, although I can't of course, but I hope both of these beautiful puppies will find amazing homes.  Black Fluffies are amazing dogs, and you can meet them this Sunday at Whiskers N Paws.

Figgy and Tucker get their chance of real happiness
Figgy and Tucker went to their now home together, and I'm sure they will love having each other as a friend.  Thanks to their adopters for giving the shy ones a chance, and I know from experience that over time the dogs will change into loyal and loving companions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment