Thursday 1 June 2023

Thurs 1st June: What a way to start the month!

 Today of all day was not the time I wanted my phone to die but that's exactly what happened, and just as I was waiting to hear about the new dogs that were coming to Kennedy Town.  Being  able to message via WhatsApp is something we take for granted, and suddenly losing all contact other than by email was a disaster.  I managed to resurrect an old phone (which I know won't last for long either) and get it fired up just in time to get the message that the dogs were ten minutes away, and that was the start of a really crazy time. 

One of the dogs turned out to be a labradoodle, much bigger than the others, so I thought I would post his details on Facebook so we could try to get him into a home quickly.  I wasn't anticipating the huge response, and I now know that this is the most sought-after breed ever, far more popular than even the golden retriever.  I have so many great homes offered, but as always only one dog, so it's really a matter of choosing the one from the top of the pile who can take Byron home the soonest.   I have to add that we haven't had time to assess his character or behaviour, and doodles can be a bit crazy so I'm loathe to put him straight into a home with young children.

This one's a girl


The other dogs are also lovely, or will be once they've had a wash and a haircut.  These are not dogs that have spent much time in a grooming salon, that's for sure, but I hope you can look beyond the scruffiness to see the beauty that's just waiting to surface.  

Branston is a boy

This is a boy now called Brody


We'll be sorting and sending them all to Concordia on Friday (today as you're reading this), so they will be all set for the adoption event at Whiskers N Paws on Saturday, 2pm to 4pm.  If you're interested in coming, please make sure you complete the adoption questionnaire in advance and have received an invitation from me to attend.  We already have a lot of potential adopters who have confirmed they will be coming, so it will be a great help to know who they are and what they're looking for in advance.  The questionnaire is at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/

As if the sorting, photographing and naming of the new dogs (and three small puppies) wasn't enough, there was another emergency case to be dealt with later on.  I think I've written about a small dog called Jinks, who came with the last intake, and who we'd been told was the victim of abuse.  He wasn't able to use his back legs and the only way to find out what was really going on was to have an MRI scan carried out.  You probably know that you can't wear any metal for an MRI, or have anything metal inside you, and there was an immediate problem when the scan started.  


Jinks showing the location of the pellet

To cut the story short, it turned out that Jinks had a metal pellet embedded in the base of his ear, presumably from an air gun, and this had to be removed.  While we wait for the results of the MRI we're all hoping that this pellet was the cause of the problems, and that Jinks will now be free from pain and hopefully start to regain function in his legs. But what a truly shocking act of cruelty to inflict on a small animal this was, and now I understand the videos I was sent of him screaming in pain when he was first rescued (some months ago). 

I hate to be practical when talking of a case like this, but the MRI scan and removal of the pellet were expensive, and if you can donate to help cover the cost it would be very much appreciated.  Please go to  https://hongkongdogrescue.com/donate/one-off-donations/ for donation details.


No comments:

Post a Comment