Thursday 23 March 2023

Thurs 23rd March: How can a dog be so small?

Dusty weighs just 1.7kg

 I seem to be writing a lot about poodles these days, and that's because a lot of poodles are coming to us and in need of homes.  I hadn't seen the two ex-breeder poodles I wrote about yesterday because they were dropped off at ALCVC directly, and then stayed the night there before moving to our soon-to-be-closed Red Dog Centre in Ap Lei Chau.  The white male, Dougal, was picked up by his foster parent by the afternoon, and tiny - really very tiny - Dusty will also be taken for fostering by the weekend.  When I saw the photo of Dusty I wondered how on earth Dr Tony is going to be able to operate on her shoulders, if that's what's going to be needed. 
Dougal is also small at 3kg

Charlotte and Nacho would make a great couple










Normal-sized poodle Charlotte was also surrendered today, and we need a home for her too.  This is a very sad case which has nothing to do with Charlotte's behaviour, it's just family circumstances that meant the dog had to be given up.  Charlotte is also staying at the Red Dog Centre for now.

Nacho is the same age as Charlotte


The other poodle which I have grown to really love is Nacho, and he's lucky in that he's able to hang out in the office at our Elgin Street Centre so he has company all day.  I was there myself in the afternoon so was able to spend time with Nacho, Lola and chihuahua Oreo, who is extremely happy now that his cone is off following his desexing.  He's a toy fanatic, and between Oreo and Nacho there was a competition to see who could collect the most toys.   I don't know why Nacho hasn't found a home yet, because he's such a great little dog.  As for Oreo, he has an adoption interview on Friday, so I hope that goes well.  I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't. 


We do have some adoptions coming up that I'll be able to write about, and even better one is a Tai Po dog, but I'm waiting until I can share the photos.

Teddy's coat is normally scruffy

One of the reasons I was able to spend time with the Elgin Street dogs was because I was waiting for Dr Denise of ALCVC to visit so she could give vaccinations to all of the dogs and puppies that were due to have them.  As it turned out I had to leave just as Dr Denise was arriving because she had been delayed, but at least I was able to walk Teddy (with Scruffy), and Nacho, which is something the volunteers usually do.  Scruffy is leaving on Friday, so now it must surely be Teddy's turn.  He's a great little dog too, with a silky coat that is suitable to allergy sufferers.  He is a terrier which means he has to act as though he's a big dog, but it's all harmless fun and I really like him a lot.  You can probably tell that if it was up to me I'd take them all home!



No comments:

Post a Comment