Tuesday 16 October 2018

Tues 16th Oct: We are open every single day of the year

It would be amazing if Jewel and Chow Mein could be adopted together
I was relieved to find that there weren't all the new dogs at AFCD that I'd feared there might be after my week-long break, but one young female who had been there a while was still resisting any attempts to accept my friendship.  It had got to the make-or-break point, and while I could see that she was scared rather than aggressive, going into a small enclosed space with a large dog whose reaction could be anything is quite risky.   I knew I had to make a decision, so trusting my own judgement I opened the kennel door and stepped inside, just as the door on the other side of the kennel opened and the dog disappeared.  I went round to see what had happened and found one of the AFCD staff holding the dog in his arms, while she was obviously happy to be carried and was relaxed and calm.  Seeing her like that made it easy for me to say I would take her, so Friday is the day.

This particular AFCD staff member is quite amazing with the dogs, and he has helped by showing me how friendly many scared ones are, just like this particular female.  He doesn't speak much English so he will just put his arms round a dog to demonstrate how friendly it is, or in today's case actually pick it up and carry it.  He loves the dogs and wants to save them, and I'm very grateful for his help and kindness.

With no other new dogs or puppies needing help it was an easy day for me, and with Wednesday being another Public Holiday our driver will take Thursday off too (Wednesday is his regular day off).  That means an extra day for me, at least in terms of picking dogs up or driving to the vet, but remember we are open every single day of the year at both Homing Centres if you want to meet the dogs waiting for homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment