Friday 9 December 2016

Fri 9th Dec: Lamma dogs still waiting

Poker one year ago
I had asked May, Site Manager at Tai Po, if there was space for a couple of my lovely Lamma dogs, one year-olds who had been with me since they were puppies and hadn't been adopted for no other reason than bad luck.  Poker and Finn are such sweet-natured boys, quiet and gentle, and it's very sad that they missed out on having their own families.  I feel especially bad for Poker as he was one of a large litter, all of whom were chosen and are now happy and loved, but I love Finn too.  He has become very affectionate and loves being scratched and cuddled.

Anyway May had agreed to the two boys going to Tai Po, but then I remembered that there were some dogs at AFCD that I had seen and reserved, and of course they have to take priority. Three are brothers, and I was told they were rottweilers but they would be the first black and white rotties I have ever seen, not to mention the fact that apart from their tails having been docked they really don't look the part at all.  In fact they are more like labadors, and just as sweet as I found out when I took the first one, now-Otis,  today.  I would have taken more but there were other dogs in the van, including three lovely new puppies and a poor poodle who had been found stray and with a large wound on her hip.  I forgot to take photos of both dogs, and the three puppies, so unfortunately have nothing to show).

The AFCD vet had bandaged the poodle's wound so now-Tessie looked as though she was wearing a diaper, and when Dr Andy removed it there was a large area of blackened skin underneath.  I had to look away as the dead tissue was peeled off, and tried to close my ears to Tessie's cries, but it had to be done to be able to clean the wound so it would heal.  As is routine, blood was taken for testing especially as Tessie is eleven years old, and the results indicated that she is diabetic.  It's strange that we have now had two diabetic poodles within a short space of time (now-adopted Willis being the other one) after never seeing it before.  Luckily we know that with insulin injections Tessie can live a normal life, and will feel a million times better than she does right now.  The next challenge is to find a foster home for her if anyone is willing, and she is a very sweet girl so other than twice-daily injections will be easy to have around.  Please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com if you can help.

Cookie is also waiting for a home
So now I'm thinking about Sunday and Whiskers N Paws because not only do I have several new pups to introduce, but there are other foster puppies who will also be making their debut. You will be spoilt for choice if you're looking for a puppy to take home, and I really hope that none of them will end up like Finn and Poker and be left behind.

Tilly (no leash) is one of Aladdin's gang
When people are shocked by the number of dogs I have at home, they are almost all there for exactly the same reason.  They were the "unchosen", the puppies that were unlucky enough to be one of too many, or to have been born at the wrong time of year and to have been at their most adoptable during the quiet season.  Tilly is another super-sweet girl who should have found a home but never did, and while she is no trouble to have around she deserves better than to be one of too many.


No comments:

Post a Comment