Tuesday 8 November 2016

Tues 8th Nov: Waiting for more space

Siblings Isobel and Casper, now 3 years old and still on Lamma
I had to take the last of the 2016 group of Lamma dogs to AFCD to have their rabies vaccinations and licenses renewed before starting the whole process again for next year, something that is important to do but still a chore when you have so many.  It doesn't help that the short-haired black variety look so alike, and chasing after them with a microchip scanner is the only way I can positively identify the more timid ones.

Teabag is the female who missed Sunday's puppy afternoon
With the van already full of crates and the overall lack of space in any of our facilities, I couldn't take the litter of smaller-sized and again black doglets at AFCD, and I'm wondering where they will go when I do.  I need to move the Stanley Barracks puppies out first, and for more than just reasons of space.  While very sweet and beautiful, they are so friendly and desperate to be with a human that I can't go anywhere or do anything without being followed by three four-legged shadows, and having discovered the joys of the beach they are first at the gate to be let out.  It's lovely to see them so happy, but it makes leaving the house without them very difficult.  As I'm putting one back inside the other two are pushing their way past me to get out.   Anyway, they are amazing characters and whoever ends up adopting any of them will be very lucky.

The main focus at the moment is naturally Sunday's Peak to Fong Sponsored Walk, followed by Whiskers N Paws as usual, and although I'm looking forward to the event as it's such a great day, I know there will be big sighs of relief when it's over.  Our two main fundraisers require a huge amount of organisation, planning and work, and everything is done by volunteers who already have full time jobs, not to mention their own dogs who also need to be taken care of.   I'm incredibly grateful to these dedicated volunteers, not to mention full of admiration for the way they manage to pull such an amazing day together in the small amount of spare time they have to spare.

Candy needs a home or foster
I picked up a tiny puppy from Acorn in the afternoon, one of the recent intake that had been found to have tick fever but who has thankfully made a quick recovery.  Candy didn't really have anywhere to go, so while in the van on the way to Ap Lei Chau I sent a quick message ahead warning that I was on my way, and by the time I arrived and handed the baby over to Iris she had secured at least a short-term foster home.  If anyone can take Candy until she is adopted, please contact Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment