Monday 28 November 2016

Mon 28th Nov: Feeling nostalgic

Monday mornings are always busy as I have to go through the Sunday photos from Whiskers N Paws, with Semirah having done the same as well as posting them, on top of writing my blog and all the usual stuff.  I was rushing to get out of the house when I decided to take a break from the routine and not push myself to get to AFCD and Acorn, rather go to the office and try to catch up with the team there as well as some paperwork.  Eva splits her time between Tai Po and the office, and as Mondays are one of her "desk work" days it was good to be able to talk through some ideas and plans for the coming months.  One of the best things about being a small organisation is that we can discuss, agree and implement anything without having to go through any long process.  If we like it, we do it, and that suits me fine.

I had already sent two boy doglets to Acorn for desexing first thing, and their sisters Domino and Ruby who are staying at Ap Lei Chau will have their turn tomorrow.   The four siblings are all quite timid so I'm hoping being in the Homing Centre will help, particularly as Ruby is such a small and pretty little dog.

Funny Girl
One of the great things about mixed breeds is that they can look so different, and you can never really be sure how they will turn out.  There's a dog that comes to Whiskers N Paws from time to time and he always makes me laugh because he is short-legged but quite long in the body, with a very large French bulldog's head which doesn't match the rest of him in size.  I was reminded of him today when I was asked if we could take a female dog who was the sole survivor of three who had been left behind in an apartment when the owners moved out.  The other two had starved to death leaving this one barely alive, but she pulled through and is now fit and healthy.  The thing is she looks so much like the funny half-Frenchie boy, and I know his parents have been considering getting a second dog so I really want to introduce them.  I don't know the name of the dog or his owners, so if anyone does please tell them about Funny Girl and ask then to contact me if interested.   She will come to our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre on Wednesday  if anyone else would like to meet a very special-looking dog.
Tufty is the back right puppy

Hong Kong Dog Rescue was set up in 2003, almost fourteen years ago now, and that means that many of our dogs from the early days are reaching the end of their natural lives, if they haven't already left.  It's a tough time, if an inevitable one, and a situation I have faced too many times for me to even remember.   Of the original Lamma dogs there are just a handful remaining, Cindy being one of them but also Tufty, Milo, Bali and Curly, and because in those days we didn't have too many I can remember them all as babies. Cindy of course has cancer and I don't know how much longer she has, but for now she's doing incredibly well after her (third) surgery, while Bali's sad decline is very hard for me to watch.  Still, he stumbles along the track for our morning walk, even if I do have to help him along the way from time to time.
A young Milo

Angel is back in hospital, this time with tick fever
Angel, one of the early Tai Po dogs from Pokfulam days, was also recovering nicely from her splenectomy but had to be re-admitted to hospital with a recurrence of tick fever, a direct result of not having a spleen.  We're just hoping that this is a temporary glitch after Angel's double near-death experiences, the first time when she had emergency surgery for bloat and the second when she had to be opened up again when her spleen burst.  It would be too sad to lose her to tick fever after everything she has gone through and survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment