Friday 7 July 2023

Fri 7th July: A half day today

 I think I could write a whole book about my experiences with dentists, but for today I'll just say that I had to make an urgent and unexpected visit to the dentist which meant the afternoon being a write-off.  I can think of many other things I'd rather be doing with my time, especially with so many new puppies that need to find homes, and the adult dogs too, all sizes.  I also received a message about still more dogs and puppies that would be arriving very soon, so it's vital that I can stay on top of all of the enquiries that come in. 

Whenever we have new dogs and puppies available there's always a rush of adoption enquiries, and while this might sound like a good thing, because of course finding homes is what we want, there's always the occasional impulsive adoption.  We still have lovely small-medium adults from previous intakes which seem to be forgotten when others come in, dogs like (now adopted) Teddy who waited months before finally being chosen, and as expected he turned out to be the perfect dog.  I wondered every time I saw him how come he was still with us, so I'm always happy to see his updates (and yes, I do read the comments on the Facebook posts!)  

Teddy is the perfect dog 

"Lovely new pups coming in! Just want to put a word in for the small dogs waiting for homes in Kennedy Town though. We adopted one of them - he had been at HKDR for almost 4 months at that point, and he’s so calm, sweet and obliging. All our visitors just love him. And he’s clearly basking in and tolerant of all the attention. Also not a single accident or mishap in the house - in fact, much better toilet trained than any of our previous dogs, some of whom we trained as pups lol. Kudos to HKDR for that!"



Lovely Betty\

Betty is the dog I'm currently watching, and while I really hope she doesn't end up having to wait months before finding her forever family, we'll wait as long as it takes for the right home to come along. 

There are sometimes complaints about the questionnaire we ask people to complete before meeting the dogs or puppies, and while it's not a perfect way of assessing potential homes at least it's a start.  It's enormously helpful if potential adopters can add as much detail as possible so we can suggest the best match: www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/


Sunday is Whiskers N Paws day again, and at least this week we should be safe from any rain.  Youngsters Barbie and Merlin will be making their debut, with Barbie being another mystery pup in the sense that she should have been adopted as soon as she arrived.  She's a small girl who will be a small-medium size as an adult, and in addition to being very cute she's also very friendly. 
Barbie again


No comments:

Post a Comment