Thursday 1 March 2018

Thurs 1st March: Two unforgivable acts

The season of low tides is back, and although I got ready to go over to Ap Lei Chau at the usual time the sea level was too low for the sampan to be able to get to the pier, so I turned round and went back home.  Luckily I'd deliberately kept the day clear as a group from the office (Ka Yan, Eva and Little Eva) had been planning to come over to Lamma to meet up with me to discuss possible events, but as Eva wasn't feeling well we postponed.   Now I must remember to start checking tides when I arrange my schedule for the day.

Although the dog rescue groups and organisations in Hong Kong all work independently from each other and obviously compete for good homes, we do communicate and share information when appropriate and necessary, especially when something happens such as the recent poodle-kicking story.  In case you missed it someone took a video of a woman walking a poodle in Pokfulam, and continuously kicking the poor dog.   The video was shared on Apple Daily and the woman identified as someone who had fostered for several organisations, thankfully without previous incident.  The name and details of this woman was shared to make sure she was never given another poodle for fostering, and I understand the matter has been reported to the police.   This is the link for the Apple Daily report: https://hk.news.appledaily.com/local/realtime/article/20180227/57879453


Angel when she came to HKDR .  She was adopted in 2012
I got a message today about a pug that had been abandoned at a groomers, and was eventually handed over to a rescue organisation in a very poor condition.  The pug was taken to Acorn, where records showed she was adopted from HKDR some time ago when her name was Angel before she became Wrinkles.  It was very upsetting to know that she had ended up in this situation and condition when the last time I saw her everything had seemed so good.  I immediately emailed the adopter and received this reply, one which left me shocked and angry.  How could there be any excuse for this, and why weren't HKDR contacted?  The fact that Angel-as-was is now safe with LAP isn't the point, as she was literally just abandoned and forgotten, and there is no excuse in the world for that.  Look at the last sentence which I've highlighted in bold, it's unbelievable.

"I ended up leaving Hong Kong quite abruptly, to head back home to the Cayman Islands. Although I had every intention of moving Wrinkles with me, there was not enough time to make the appropriate arrangements. After asking a number of my friends, none of them were able to care for Wrinkles while I was out of the country, therefore I resorted to leaving her at a groomer's that I'd known before as I used to take Wrinkles to be groomed there. Once back in Cayman I found that our local agriculture laws do not allow the importation of animals from Asia, including Hong Kong, without an extended quarantine period outside of Cayman, in an approved country. 

From that point, it became a financial issue as I'd managed to find a friend overseas who would take Wrinkles, but while paying for her to stay at the groomers (amongst other living expenses) I was unable to secure the funds to make arrangements with a moving agency. After about a year and a few months of trying to make arrangements, I then lost contact with the groomers. Over these last months, I'd assumed they'd turned Wrinkles over to the AFCD."


I'm really looking forward to this Sunday's Puppy Afternoon at Whiskers N Paws, hoping that Teddy and Monty will at least find foster homes if not forever families.  There are so many lovely youngsters all hoping the same so we'll just have to wait and see who will be the lucky ones.

Although there are many pups waiting for homes, Monty and Teddy (black) are currently without a foster



No comments:

Post a Comment