Friday 26 August 2022

Fri 26th Aug: Remembering past dogs

Frankie's scars remained for life


 Although not happy news, I do appreciate it when adopters from years gone by let me know that their dog has passed away, crossed the Rainbow Bridge, or whichever term you prefer to use.  Today I received an email about a dog called Frankie who had died aged fifteen,  and when I saw the photo I immediately recognised him.  How could I not remember a dog that had come to us during our Pokfulam Kennels days with terrible muzzle scars on his nose, but which ironically made him a very special, one-of-a-kind dog.  There are twenty official years of memories tucked away in my brain, but many more from the days before HKDR was formed. It might take me a while to dig those memories out, but I usually get there eventually. 
Sandy the day she appeared


I was reminded of the pre-HKDR days again when a stray dog turned up in the bay a few weeks ago.  This used to be a regular occurrence, and was how and why I started rescuing dogs in the first place, but over the years there were thankfully far fewer cases.  Anyway, when this dog arrived I was asked by a neighbour if it was one of mine, but having established that it wasn't, and that it also hadn't come from any of the fish farms in the bay, the dog just stayed around.  She had an unpleasant growth hanging from her underside, so while I was happy to give her food every day I wanted to get something done about removing the growth and having her generally checked.  That happened today, and the poor girl had so many serious problems that I asked for her to be euthanised while she was under sedation.  I had called her Sandy because she liked the beach and to wade in the sea, and although I had no real connection to her other than watching her from my window as she wandered around, I wanted to at least give her a mention. 


Back to our current HKDR dogs and puppies, schnauzer Gala was taken home today for a short trial with the resident cats.  I feel sure there won't be a problem, because Gala is a sweet girl who has suffered enough during her days as a breeder dog.  In fact if she hadn't ended up being thrown out by the breeder she would without a doubt ended up with the same issues as Sandy. 

There will be at least one older puppy taken home from our Kennedy Town North Street Centre on Saturday, but I won't mention the name until she's on her way to her new home.  However she won't be included in the list of available puppies shown below, some of whom will either also be adopted over the weekend or move from their foster homes to Kennedy Town.  Foster puppy Tina has been adopted, leaving brother Titan still available at this point, and we have some new puppies arriving on Saturday so things are always changing: 

Tina has been adopted



HKDR Kennedy Town Homing Centre - Shop 4, G/F, Brilliant Court, Sai Hong Lane, 28 Praya, Kennedy Town

HKDR Headquarters - Shop 4, G/F, Cheong Yue Mansion, 13-19 North Street, Kennedy Town
Whiskers N paws - 10/F Horizon Plaza, Ap Lei Chau 

Foster homes@Hong Kong Island
Roland (M) @Pok Fu Lam
Felli (F) @Wan Chai
Azaria (F) @Happy Valley (Instagram Page @zeldainthevalley )
Titan (M)  @Happy Valley 
Zippy (M) @North Point

Foster homes@Kowloon and New Territories
Josh (M)  @Ho Man Tin
Mascot (M) and Misty (F) @Tseung Kwan O
Tommy (M) and Tiffany(F) @Tseung Kwan O



No comments:

Post a Comment