Thursday 29 November 2018

Thurs 29th Nov: A miracle!

Once again I couldn't do much as I had to take Murphy back to Acorn in the afternoon, but
I'm really hoping that today was the last of my ongoing visits to the vet with him, at least as far as his eye problem (glaucoma) is concerned.  I was on the verge of making an appointment to have the eye removed after another night of interrupted sleep from his cries and restlessness, but just as I was about to send a Whatsapp message to Acorn to ask when there would be an available surgery slot I noticed that Murphy's eye was open rather than being squeezed shut in pain.  I held off making the surgery appointment and thought I'd wait until he'd had his eye checked again, and as it happens I'm glad I did because the pressure had dropped from very high to normal.  The vet, Dr Seems, couldn't quite believe it herself and kept re-checking in case there had been a mistake, but the reading showed the same each time.  I was even able to sleep in my own bed for the night rather than on the floor next to Murphy (he doesn't like being in my bed), even though I still had to get up several times due to his nocturnal wanderings so it feels like a miracle has taken place.

I'm so happy for sweet Addy 
Doglet Addy was sharing the van with us on the way back from Acorn following his desexing surgery, and I'm thrilled to say that he will be going to his new home on Friday.  He's the sweetest boy who's incredibly calm for his age and always has been,  and I've been waiting and hoping that someone would notice him.
Frankie had to come back from his foster home sadly

Now we have Frankie to find a home for, and he's another really happy and loving boy who sadly had to be returned from his foster home when the landlord said no dogs were allowed.

There's also Jack, Carlo's friend and sidekick, and although he's not instantly friendly to everyone he meets that cool side of his personality doesn't mean he's not loving and affectionate once he knows you.
Jack (l) has learned his cool behaviour from his mentor Carlo


Another medium-sized doglet Dimple has the same attitude to strangers, so it's really difficult to convince visitors at Whiskers N Paws that she's really a sweet girl.  That's why we suggest meeting the older puppies and doglets in their own comfort zone of the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre and nearby dog park, because that's where they feel relaxed and show of their true happy personality.

We've taken in some new smaller dogs at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre, both young but with very different looks and temperament.  Curly was found abadoned in a park and is a very cute and happy boy, estimated to be no older than just a year and he'll be adopted in a flash.

Shiba inu Damson, 11 months female

Dimple as a  medium-sized doglet

The other one is an eleven month-old shiba inu girl, a very popular breed although often not an easy one.  If there are fights in the dogs park there's often a shiba involved, and I think that like many other "must have" breeds-of-the-moment, this one will drop down the popularity list eventually. 

The girl that was surrendered had been biting according to the short-term ex-owner, so obviously we're keeping an eye on her and observing her behaviour before putting her up for adoption.  In almost all cases like this it's the owner not the dog that has the problem, but of course we make sure these dogs don't go to homes with children and that the adopters are aware of the history.  Damson has started to play with the other office dogs, and is friendly with people and actively seeks petting and attention but we will wait to see how things develop.

As it happens our HKDR trainer, Cactus, has just attended an in-depth course for trainers on the subject of dog aggression so I suggested she use Damson as a case study.  So far there hasn't been much to do as there hasn't been any of the behaviour we were warned about, but Cactus now has even more knowledge to add to her already-extensive experience in dealing with dogs of all kinds and the behaviour questions adopters ask.  All adopters of HKDR dogs and puppies have the free and ongoing benefit of help and support from Cactus, and although I may be biased I think she's one of Hong Kong's top trainers.


No comments:

Post a Comment