Thursday 15 November 2018

Thurs 15th Nov: Just another crazy day

Not related to the story but I love this photo of the 2 poodle pairs at Ap Lei Chau
I had booked one of my Lamma dogs, Oliver, to see a vet but ended up not taking him as he was doing much better, and instead rushed in another dog who had tried to jump a gate and got one of her back legs caught.  Toyah was dangling from the gate and screaming, and luckily it all happened just as I was leaving home so I was able to take her over with me where an X-ray showed she had dislocated her hip. The poor girl must have been in agony, and she will have surgery on Friday to remove the femoral head (the ball at the top of the thigh bone) which will relieve the pain, after which hopefully Toyah will make a full recovery and be able to walk pretty much normally.  Femoral head excision is commonly carried out on dogs with hip dysplasia, and it's always amazed me how the body heals itself and adjusts.

After dropping Toyah off at Acorn, I headed to my intended destination, AFCD in Pokfulam, where I took out one of three ex-boatyard dogs that had been picked up by the dog catchers.  I wish they would just visit the boatyards and get the dogs licensed on site, as well as giving out free desexing forms to control the unwanted puppies rather than hauling them in to await their fate.  Honestly I don't want to take these dogs, I want them to go back to where they came from, and I have a plan to do just that after desexing if the boatyard owner is agreeable.  The poor dogs are terrified of course, and it's not their fault.

Jax and Roley have lived together since they were baby pups
With the new dog on board, as well as the surrendered pug and husky, I went back to Acorn to see Dr Joe.  Before our consult the new dogs were weighed, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the pug showed  seventeen kilos on the scale, and the husky just fourteen.  The poor pug is obese and needs to lose a good few kilos before being anything near his proper bodyweight.  It's not good enough to say he ate all of the husky's food as well as his own, as separate feeding is easy to do. At least both dogs are very friendly, but I opted to delay desexing surgery for the pug until he's shed some of his rolls of fat.  He is now Roley while the husky is Jax.
Charlie is an obvious name for this boy

The other new dogs from AFCD Sheung Shui were also waiting to be taken to our Homing Centre, so they are now available for adoption, at least the shiba inu and King Charles spaniel, as the poodle appears to have an internal infection and will need surgery on Friday.
A popular breed so I expect this shiba boy will soon find a home


The three new puppies joined the youngsters at Ap Lei Chau, and I was laughing at the sight of the other baby pups rolling around on the floor with shiba inu pup Monty.  (You can take a look at the video here: https://www.facebook.com/hkdogrescue/videos/458501688009040/).  Monty is another one of our Special Needs puppies, although like all of the others who arrived in a sad state he's improving all the time.  Certainly playing with the other young ones is really helping with coordination and brain development, and it was lovely to see him having fun rather than just walking in circles as he used to do.
We have quite a collection of young puppies now

No comments:

Post a Comment