Thursday 29 September 2016

Thurs 29th Sept: You couldn't make it up

Sweet Gaby is STILL waiting
You couldn't make it up.  After yesterday's post about surrenders-to-be that were suddenly handed over to someone else, the owner of the ten-month golden retriever, who was expected to arrive on Saturday, sent a message this morning asking if she could bring the dog immediately rather than wait.  I replied saying yes, and then got straight onto the agreed adopter to let her know and to ask when she would be able to come.  No sooner had I sent that message than I got another email from the owner saying she'd just given the dog to a neighbour.  I was stunned and furious.  I had just spent the past three days replying to the countless enquiries and questionnaires, and now this.  I don't know why I'm surprised because I should know better by now, but still people never cease to amaze me.  To make matters worse the golden retriever wasn't licensed (a legal requirement) or desexed, and we were going to arrange both, but now it's out of our control and it saddens me that there is a high likelihood that the dog will end up having puppies, arranged or otherwise.

On top of that frustration, of all the many offers of a home we had for the golden retriever I don't think one mixed breed will get a home out of it. It's really so incredibly sad.

Goa was found near Shek O
There was some great news though, with Goa having been found and returned to her foster home.  Please don't post comments about being more careful because this wasn't a case of carelessness and it's really not helpful.  I would just like to celebrate the fact that not only is Goa safe and well but that she may have a permanent home soon.  Thanks to "Auntie" Sue for leading the search team, as well as all of the others involved.
Jolene chooses the old over the new

There is still another search going on though, and that's for an acceptable squirrel for Jolene. Whiskers N Paws very kindly sent some potential new friends as a gift, but while Jolene enjoyed their company for a while it was her ratty old favourite she took to bed.  I know there is a new squirrel on the way from the US, but I've suggested that it will probably be necessary to sew the two together.
My Inky (with Mina)


It's strange for me seeing the photos of both Goa and Jolene, as they look so much like my own much loved and now departed Inky and Gala. In fact there are only a limited number of mixed breed "styles" that we see over and over again, and only very few that are completely different.  Inky and Goa belong to the black-and-tan, short coat-and-eyebrow dots category, while Gala and Jolene are Monkey Dogs.
Gala halfway through a haircut

2 comments:

  1. to sew the two together,haaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our HKDR dog Elsie has a beloved blanket that has been patched together so many times that there is hardly any of the original material remaining but she is steadfast in her love of the blanket, choosing it over newer and cleaner offerings. If Jolene is like Elsie, I think that patching the old squirrel with bits of new squirrel would work.

    And I'm delighted to hear that Goa was returned home.

    ReplyDelete