Friday 23 September 2016

Fri 23rd Sept: Stuck at home

Safari with cow hoof in mouth
It's frustrating being without a driver again, and although I had dogs I wanted to take to the vet it wasn't an emergency situation luckily so I could delay until next week.

My "big baby" Safari has dirty ears which really need a good cleaning but he refuses to let me do it.  Even if I put on a muzzle and sit on top of him, he thrashes around so much, screaming like I'm attacking him even before I've made contact, that I can't get close to his ears.  It's really quite funny that such a big and strong dog should be such a crybaby but that's the way he is,  and he will probably end up having to be sedated so his ears can be properly cleaned.

Magnus in Whiskers N Paws days


One of the doglets, Magnus (actually probably a year old now), insists on climbing the high fence to get out rather than using the front gate like all of the other dogs, and as a result he's constantly injuring himself.  Now he has ripped a pad open on one of his front paws, so I had to clean and dress it, hoping that it all stayed on long enough to be useful.  Thanks to those sticky crepe bandages which work like magic he now has a colourful "boot", and I will try to persuade him that climbing the fence isn't necessary.

If you would like to sponsor either of these dogs through our Life Saver Club programme, please email Shaline at lifesaver@hongkongdogrescue.com for details and information.  This monthly sponsorship helps to take care of specific dogs who are waiting for adoption, or who will realistically be with us for their whole lifetime.

Another sad frustration is that despite having had a blood transfusion and supportive care, old Lamma dog Larry responded only briefly to the healthy blood before crashing again, so this morning (Saturday) I asked that he be let go rather than put him through any more tests and treatments. Whatever was wrong with him was more serious than just tick fever, even if that in itself is serious enough.  He was an old dog when I took him from AFCD but I wanted him to have a happy retirement.

It's now only a week until our first major fundraiser of the year, the "Game of Bones" Gala Dinner, and all preparations have been completed, thanks to the hard behind-the-scenes efforts of the volunteer organising team led by Jamie Nunn.  I'm feeling a bit of tense anticipation, obviously wanting and hoping for a huge success for both the team and HKDR, and lots of money raised for the benefit of the dogs.  For those of you who have bought tickets, thank you for supporting, and I'll see you there.  To the sponsors, again huge thanks too, because this is a zero-budget event meaning nobody was paid for their contributions.  This has always been our policy because we want all funds raised to go directly towards helping the dogs, and I think everyone who has attended our previous gala events, or who will be coming for the first time, will agree that the hard work has paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment