Tuesday 3 May 2016

Tues 3rd May: When death is a blessing

We're still working on the new website and trying to get all of our dogs-in-waiting posted with the correct details, but you will have to bear with us until the whole exercise is successfully completed. With so many to add to the pages it's a mammoth task, so in the meantime please continue to ask us if you can't see the dog you are looking for.

Look at Chewy's lovely white teeth
There's a new name and face to add to the website after I visited AFCD Pokfulam today and took out Chewy, an almost-German shepherd that I wrongly guessed was only one to two years old. Her teeth look brand new, all clean and white, and knowing that she had been a boat dog (and I assume that means a fishing boat) I was really surprised to learn that she is actually five.   The AFCD licensing officer suggested it could be due to the fact that she had been eating fish all her life, which struck me as a strange theory but maybe the bones acted as toothpicks, who knows. Whatever the reason, Chewy is in very good condition and is a lovely dog, very sweet and uncomplaining, even when being held by the vet and nurse as blood was being taken from her leg.
No complaints from Chewy as she was held for checking

Chewy is now at our Tai Po Homing Centre, taking the place of one of our long-term seniors Joanna, who had passed away in her sleep during the night.

Sweet forever dreams Joanna
As sad as it is to lose a dog, Joanna was one of the lucky ones in the big scheme of things, leaving this life in a calm and peaceful manner, in her own time and on her own terms.  Doing this work and having known so many thousands of dogs over the years, I have come to accept death as being a natural part of life, and even a welcome one at times. How much easier it is when a much-loved companion slips away naturally than to have to make the heartbreaking decision to have him or her euthanised, the hardest choice of all.  That time is now approaching for my own dear Sandy, and in my heart I pray that she will take that decision out of my hands and not put me through the anguish of choosing the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment