Friday 20 May 2016

Fri 20th May: Stanley Barracks again

Trixie and Fanta think they are sisters
I was without our usual HKDR transport today as driver Michael had a day off, but I wanted to get to AFCD in case there were any urgent rescue cases.  By this I mean vulnerable dogs such as the small oldies or those that need to see a vet as emergency cases.  I had intended going on Thursday but with one thing or another didn't make it, and with the weekend looming I didn't want to wait until Monday.

It's been a while since there have been puppies from Stanley Barracks, not since our HKDR volunteer, Catherine, had spoken to the PLO Camp Commander about the stray dog problem and asked if they would be willing to help us do something about it, such as catching and desexing.  We even got as far as putting traps out, unfortunately without result, and now Catherine has been out of Hong Kong for a few months on an extended holiday.  So today when I walked the length of the kennel block checking for new dogs, there was a whole collection from Stanley Barracks and all very friendly as they always are.

It seems to be the time for old Maltese to be thrown out after Paddy's recent arrival and now a new one
As mentioned, I was without a van and driver, and I had already been handed what I was first told was a surrendered poodle but who is actually a Maltese.  The staff had washed him so he was clean and white, but he's another throwaway senior, just the type I was there for.  So already having one little dog to carry out, I wasn't in a position to be able to take more than two of the Stanley pups and even that was a struggle.  One of the AFCD staff found a discarded dog crate I could use, and helped me to carry it (with pups inside) to the main road so I could find a taxi.  Whatever anyone's opinions of AFCD as a Government Department are, I have always found the kennel staff to be very kind and helpful.

Debra on her way home
As I was dealing with my new recruits, two lucky puppies were on their way to start a new life after having been picked up from their foster home.  Debra and Magic aren't siblings or even the same age, but they have become very good friends since being fostered together so seeing them adopted as a pair was perfect.  In fact there is already a resident ex-HKDR dog in the new home and the initial intention had been to get one new friend, but as there is plenty of space for more it was offered to a pair. Magic immediately sought out his new "uncle" while Debra ran happily round the garden, returning to sleep at Magic's side when it was time for dinner and a sleep.

Debra's remaining siblings will be at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday, along with the two Stanley Barracks pups, Sandy and Stanley, and many other hopefuls. With luck the weather won't be as rainy as today, but we'll be there regardless.


Magic immediately chose to be near his big "uncle"

No comments:

Post a Comment