Friday 27 May 2016

Fri 27th May: New Pixie Pups need foster homes

I had some "can I, can't I" moments early on in the morning with the first typhoon signal of the year along with some heavy rain, but thankfully the bad weather cleared in time for me to go over to the office for a meeting, and then on to AFCD and Acorn.

"Game of Bones" gala will take place on 1st October
The meeting was to discuss this year's "Game of Bones" gala fundraiser with new(ish) volunteer Events Coordinator Jamie Nunn, and our multitasker staff member Eva Sit.   This being our fourth gala dinner event, we are going to bring in a lot of new ideas to keep things fresh and exciting, and not forgetting that all-important word, fun. I've already started thinking about what my outfit for the event will be, and there's huge scope for dressing-up ideas given the theme.  Even if you aren't a fan of the show itself, just Google the characters and you'll see.   Of course we are in need of sponsors and auction item donations (goods, services or talents) if you or your company are interested.  Please contact jamie@hongkongdogrescue.com for information and details.

I asked Eva if she had ever been to AFCD, even though she's been working with and for HKDR as both a volunteer and staff member for a long time.  Usually it's just me who goes to Pokfulam while the others are there to receive the dogs that come their way, either at Tai Po or Ap Lei Chau, and as Eva's answer was no I asked if she wanted to come with me today.

Mark's ever-sore nose is almost certainly an immune-mediated issue
When we arrived I was told there was a new "border collie" that had been surrendered, and as I was walking the length of the kennel block checking in on the dogs I already knew I turned around to see the new dog was already out, leashed and ready to go. It seemed driver Michael and Eva had already made that decision and I wasn't going to argue.  Of course it's not a border collie, just a very lovely dog who was given up because he has a condition which gives him a constantly sore nose.  I have a dog on Lamma, Gabriel, who has the same thing so I knew immediately what the problem was.

All of these puppies need foster homes please
The next stop was Acorn where the morning's "catch" from AFCD in Sheung Shui were waiting to be picked up.  The two golden retrievers were happily bouncing all over the place, desperate for attention and lucky to have a foster home to go to.   I was there to take the puppies back to Lamma, and they turned out to be tiny little things.  They're probably around five weeks old but I think I can be pretty sure that they won't be large adults, and medium sized at most.  I need fosters for these babies because I had to put them in with the other puppies I have, and the size difference is huge.  I don't have my own photos yet but the one from AFCD shows two bigger pups from another litter in the middle and two "pixie pups" on either side.  If you can take a pair of "pixies" for fostering, please contact Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com, and if you are interested in adopting we will stall ask that you take a second for fostering while they are still so young.


No comments:

Post a Comment