Thursday 9 March 2023

Thurs 9th March: A reminder of the past

Scruffy and the "Elgin Pose"


 I'm spending a lot of time at our Elgin Street Centre at the moment,  because this is where the new dogs come in and also where the office and shop are located.  Without a full time manager I've returned to my roots in a way, dealing with all of the practical side of things, including taking the new adult dogs to AFCD to be licensed.  

Today these were Scruffy, a really gorgeous and very sweet boy who would be very suitable for allergy sufferers (to dog hair I mean), three-legged Kai, plus Katie, both a bit shy but also very sweet.  It's been such a long time since my visits to AFCD in Pokfulam were regular events and I was there a few times a week.  Now it seems there is no one to save the dogs, and I don't even want to think about what goes on there. 


I tried to get a video of Scruffy out walking to show his small-medium size and his calm attitude, and while it wasn't a great success because Scruffy was distracted by the noise and smells, at least I think you can see what I was after. 

I also checked the three new "Tiny Tot" puppies, and they are indeed tiny, at least two of them are, with one of the sisters being just a bit bigger.  In the video you can see them getting very excited about doglet Frankie, who is also a graduate from the Elgin Street kindergarten and who is currently waiting for clearance to fly to Singapore.


The full "F" litter


Frankie and the other "F" puppies have totally surprised me, in fact all of the Elgin Street volunteers who knew them when they first arrived as quite terrified young puppies.  I didn't think they would ever really become "normal" in behaviour, or even adoptable, but I was so wrong.  Frankie is an incredibly easy and laid-back older puppy now, also not nearly as big as I thought they would grow to be, and the rest of the "F" gang are just as lovely.  You can meet them at the Kennedy Town Homing Centre, or at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday afternoons, 2pm to 4pm.

Lovebug Ali 


I was very happy to see gorgeous puppy Amos leave with his new foster parents, as he was one of my top picks from the many lovely hopefuls staying at Elgin Street.  Now my focus is on Ali, the sweetest of all the puppies, and even if she isn't adopted or fostered before Sunday, she'll be at Whiskers N Paws again to charm all of the visitors.  Of course there are many other lovely puppies in that large group, but I thought I'd start with four to focus on, and then add more as those four moved out.  April has been adopted, while Archer and Moses are in foster homes, so I have to choose the next three to promote. 

Bichon Lola is being discarded

Another new dog is due to come to Elgin Street on Friday, although not exactly new in the sense that she was adopted from HKDR a few years ago by a couple who have since started a human family.  This surrender request came out of the blue and with no notice that the dog was jealous of the toddler, and I'd like to remind everyone who is thinking of adopting that we have a first class trainer in Cactus Mok, who is not only highly qualified but also very experienced in dealing with all types of behaviour issues. Her services are free to all HKDR adopters, so to ignore that very valuable option is very strange.  There are a lot of dubious trainers out there, including many of the old-fashioned variety who still think that dogs must be dominated and forced into submission through the use of force and punishment.  If any trainer tells you to use a prong collar, for example, just walk away, not only for the sake of the dog but also because using pain to "train" a dog may have awful consequences one day. 

Just as reminder, the clothes sale is still ongoing, and remember that 100% of the proceeds will be donated to HKDR.  It's surely worth a visit just for that alone, and I'm sure you'll find something (a lot) to buy as well.


Attention fashion lovers! Have you been looking for a way to score amazing designer clothes and accessories without breaking the bank? Look no further!
From March 1st to March 11th, there's a hidden gem in Chai Wan offering appointment-only shopping for a good cause. All proceeds from sales will be donated directly to HKDR to help the dogs and puppies. And on March 10th-11th, no appointment will be needed!
This is the perfect opportunity to stock up on classic pieces that will last for many seasons, all while supporting a great cause. Don't miss out on this chance to shop 'til you drop for a good cause!


No comments:

Post a Comment