Saturday 16 April 2022

Sat 16th April: A very quiet day

 Today was probably the quietest day of the year so far, and while I'm normally kept busy with emails and other enquiries I had more time to spend with the dogs instead.  Almost all potential adopters are looking for small, or small-medium sized puppies or young adults, and we just don't have any available at the moment other than the very shy dogs that really need to be with another dog, or those who have some behaviour issues.  

Goji


A lot of people still enquire about the shibas too, either wanting puppies or the three we have available, Donny, Damson and Goji (there's a fourth, Gumbo, but being larger he misses out on any interest).   Many of these potential adopters haven't had dogs before and I have to reply that the shiba inu is a challenging breed anyway, but those that are with us all have the typical shiba behaviour that makes them unsuitable for small homes, apartments without an outside area, inexperienced owners, or any home where there are children.  In the right circumstances these dogs are fine, but confined and without an outlet for their energy and need for both mental and physical stimulation, they can be impossible to handle.  I know that they're appealing because of their small size and cute smile, but like the crocodile that smile can be very deceptive. 
Donny and Damson


Iris gives Banjo his regular haircuts












In fact the smaller breeds in general are often more challenging than the larger ones, which is understandable in a way as they are far more physically vulnerable.  I was reminded of that fact today when visiting the Lamma Home for Small Dogs (previously Delinquents) where the very shy or otherwise unhomeables live.  One of these is Banjo, a very small boy who's deceptively cute.  He's been with us for years now and I thought we had an understanding after all this time.  However, after spending a while with him, which included scratching his back (which he loves), as I got up to leave I felt a sharp pain in my ankle as Banjo darted over to give me a farewell nip.  I keep forgetting that this is Banjo's trademark, and although I found it funny, it's a reminder of why this little rascal will probably never be adopted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment