Thursday 6 October 2022

Thurs 6th Oct: Another sad goodbye

(My computer won't allow me to upload any photos today, so I'll try again later)

 Once again the day didn't go remotely according to plan, with my initial ideas of what I was going to do being overtaken by having to send one of my Lamma dogs to Acorn as an emergency case.  You may have discovered for yourself that there's a serious shortage of vets in Hong Kong now, with quite a few clinics having had to end opening at night, and everyone looking for experienced vets to fill vacancies.  There are a few reasons for this situation, but the result is that it's often hard to get an appointment, especially for non-urgent matters.  Acorn was also fully booked, but they told me to send Dusty straight in when I explained how serious her condition was, which I very much appreciated, even if the news when it came was bad enough that I had to agree to letting Dusty go.  As much as I think I'm prepared for losing a dog that is obviously sick, the hardest thing is not being with them at the end, my situation and location making it impossible to rush over.  There's no such thing as rushing anywhere where I live.

I was looking for photos of Dusty, hoping that I would have at least one after my external hard drive where I stored all photos from the early years of HKDR had been destroyed (I think the dogs chewed it). Luckily I found one of her from 2015 with her brother Grey (still very fit and healthy) in my Life Saver Club file. 

I did have to go over to Kennedy Town myself later as I had some urgent documents to sign, and from there I made a quick visit to our HKDR@Elgin location in Soho.  We've installed some proper fencing downstairs now, following makeshift efforts to contain the dogs that had previously stayed there and who had easily broken out at night to raid the shop upstairs.   With another sudden intake of twelve dogs on Wednesday, it's clear that this space is going to be needed on an ongoing basis rather than a one-off, so now we can move any dogs that need a place to stay to Elgin Street.  That also means having to recruit regular volunteers, so if you can help out on an as-needed basis please email Cam at elgin@hongkongdogrescue.com to add your name and contact details to the list.  We'll move some dogs in on Monday, unless they've all been adopted by then!

I say that because two of the new small dogs have already been adopted, and together which is lovely. I'm sure Simone and Sienna will have a very happy life to look forward to.

Please check my post for yesterday for photos of the other newcomers if you're interested in adopting, and remember to complete the questionnaire at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/ as a first step. 



No comments:

Post a Comment