Friday 18 August 2023

Fri 18th Aug: Updates, and the weekend coming

 I have to backtrack on what I wrote yesterday about new dogs coming from AFCD, because although they are still going to be arriving there's a delay so that the AFCD staff can prepare paperwork.  Now the shih tzu, pug, sharpei and adult mongrel will be coming next week. 

Penny (right) became a forever dog

I want to share some adoption photos that I missed posting before, or which I've just received.  One is of Penny's "Failed Foster" family, along with another ex-HKDR dog.
Sasha found a lovely family 

The other is of Sasha and her new forever family, a happy ending for a dog that so many people asked about. 

Due to the distance and the time it takes for me to get to the various Centres, I'm not able to be physically present much these days and communicate via WhatsApp for the most part. However, with many dogs to take care of on Lamma, that doesn't mean I'm not still very much personally involved with the care of the dogs, with the new arrivals needing to be carefully monitored.   


There's great progress, for example, with young corgi Boomer, who was surrendered by his owners for being untouchable.  It's hard to believe that someone can buy a puppy and after two years not be able to even get near him, but this was apparently the case and it subsequently took quite a while for the now ex-owners to get Boomer to us.  I wanted to give Boomer a chance because he's still a young dog, and a popular breed, and we have had very similar corgis in the past who completely changed after rehabilitation on Lamma, and who were then adopted.  I'm happy to report that Boomer is now starting to explore the large area of land that he has at his disposal, and he's getting to know the dogs that he lives with.  In these cases it's always a matter of letting the dog set its own pace and not to try to force any interaction until the dog initiates it.   

Hetty

Hetty is also settling in and getting to know her new "home".  She's a sweet dog and nothing like Boomer in terms of character, but she came to us as a very nervous girl and never felt comfortable in the environment of Kennedy Town. 

It's the weekend coming up and we have a few serious potential adopters due to visit, so I hope I'll be able to share happy stories and photos tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment