Wednesday 13 November 2019

Weds 13th Nov: One surprise adoption

After the typhoon last year
Although most of Hong Kong seems to have been brought to a standstill, I'm one of the lucky island dwellers whose neighbourhood hasn't been affected by anything except the weather, which although beautiful now has been devastating at times.  You'll all remember Typhoon Manghut last year, and the combination of the terrifying wind and high tide at the same time.  It completely destroyed the old stone-built pig farm buildings in front of my house, the remains of which still lie on the beach, as well as the fences keeping my dogs in.  It was impossible to see who was still around when everything subsided, and while most of the dogs were happily hanging around the house and enjoying their freedom there were some of the "scaredy" ones missing.   One of those was a dog called Romi, and I found her later in the hills with quite a bad injury.  I took her to Acorn to be stitched up and she recovered, although she later managed to escape again and I thought that was that.

However some time later one of the landlords in the bay (there are two local families) showed me a photo of a black dog and asked if it was mine.  I assumed it was Romi, especially as I was told she had a large scar.  At first Romi was returned to me but she was unhappy, so when I was asked by the local family if they could take her back of course I agreed.  

Romi was still licensed under my name so when it came time for her rabies vaccination to be updated I asked if the family would like to formally adopt her.  They said yes, so today Romi was taken to AFCD in Pokfulam to have the rabies shot and change of ownership, and I gave her license to the now-adopters to allow that to happen.  However when Romi was scanned to check that the microchip matched the number on the license it turned out to be different, so it's not Romi and I have no idea who the dog is except that I assume it was one of mine. 

So one way or another a dog was adopted today which is something to be grateful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment