Thursday 20 April 2017

Thurs 20th April: 4 good reasons to celebrate

After my desperate post yesterday it was a different story today, even if the usual action-packed afternoon dealing with various puppies.

Adorable Molly and Herbie
If you read Wednesday's blog I was begging for foster homes for Lola and Enzo, six week-olds that had to move on from their original foster.  Well not only did both pups find new families, but they have been taken with a view to adoption if the resident dogs don't mind.  I was so happy, not only because we weren't left holding the babies, so to speak, but they will have big friends to play with.  I have to thank the first foster home for doing such a great job in raising Lola and Enzo from their bottle-feeding to their toilet training, and must also include the second foster family who have siblings Herbie and Molly.  They too will soon be looking for homes of their own if you are interested.
Chestnut is fun and full of life
Tiana in her forever home

Another puppy who has had the benefit of a great foster home also moved in with her forever family today.  Tiana was one of a litter of five who arrived at AFCD kennels with their mother, and I took them out when they were a month old after which they went to their various foster homes (as two and three).  One by one they were adopted, and with Tiana now in her new home only Chestnut is left.

He was one of a large group of puppies of varying ages that I took to Acorn today to have either vaccinations or blood tests to check the red cell count (for tick fever).  Chestnut, like his sisters (Emerald, Opal and Tiana), is quite a small size and super smart.  Travelling often makes puppies need to poo (due to the stress) and Chestnut always lets me know that he needs to "go" when we arrive at Acorn.  I put a piece of newspaper on the floor, let him out of the crate, and he immediately knows just what to do. (I like to impress the vets and nurses with this little trick, which pretty much all of my puppies perform).  On top of that Chestnut is lively, happy, funny and friendly, a lovely boy just like his littermates. I feel sad for him that he has lived all of his life so far in a foster home but had to move to Lamma when he needed to be returned.  I hope, like Lola and Enzo, that he will soon be chosen and have the real home he needs and deserves.

I'm sure the new Stanley Barracks pups are from the same family as Dougal (now adopted)
I was at AFCD today to take out the three Stanley Barracks doglets, now Bert, Ernie and Elmo, all boys obviously.  Just like previous dogs and puppies from this place they are very sweet, and I had no problem getting them out of their kennels and into crates (after microchipping and rabies vaccinations). They are now at Tai Po if you want to be one of the lucky adopters of a Stanley Barracks puppy.

Baggy may not have eyes any more but he has a foster home at least
The fourth and last reason to celebrate today was that Baggy the now-eyeless sharpei baby went to a foster home, also with a view to adoption if holiday arrangements can sorted out.  At least for now he has a nice place to stay until his stitches can come out.

I still get at least one message every day asking me if our Homing Centres are open, and I repeat that yes, we are open every single day of the year, no exceptions, not even when there's a typhoon or it's Christmas Day.

Every day is Adoption Day at HKDR!

No comments:

Post a Comment