Friday 4 October 2019

Fri 4th Oct: Saturday adoption event cancelled

This event is cancelled for safety reasons
For those of you who are planning to come to either of our adoption afternoons this weekend, please note Saturday's Concordia Pet Care event in Happy Valley has had to be cancelled, and Sunday's Whiskers N Paws puppy party will take place as usual but will end at 4pm rather than 5pm to allow for everyone to get home safely.  I'm thinking of our volunteers and HKDR van and driver who have to get back to the New Territories, and with dogs on board if they're not adopted, so of course I'm concerned.  As much as possible I have tried to keep the current situation out of this blog but I can't pretend nothing's happening.  The safety and welfare of everyone, including the dogs and puppies, is uppermost in my mind and I know I'm not alone in this.
Domingo's foster family can't let him go

For some good news to lighten the mood, puppy Domingo had his adoption confirmed by his foster parents, and is the last of his litter to become a fully fledged family member.

I was at AFCD today to take out the last remaining dog, an adult who's been waiting for some time.  I had also been waiting for him to settle and adjust, but he was still very scared (although not aggressive) even after some time so I knew it was now or never.  Of course he was terrified in the crate, and like  most dogs who are in that situation he emptied his bladder and bowels during the ride to Acorn, creating that typical AFCD cheap food + fear aroma which was so bad I had to open a window.   Arriving at Acorn ahead of our appointment time I asked if I could use an empty consult room to switch the dog to a clean crate, but when I opened the crate door he wouldn't come out.  In the end I had to wait for Dr Joe and our due appointment to tip the dog out, and when he finally emerged his tail was up and he was completely calm and easy to handle.  The difference from his behaviour at AFCD where he couldn't be touched to his relaxed posture once out was quite incredible.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Amazing! He knew death was imminent in AFCD, and so thankful to be saved by you! XXX

    ReplyDelete