Wednesday 28 August 2019

Weds 28th Aug: Facing death for being afraid

Otis and Hailey in happier days 
Wednesdays are usually my days off, but I needed to go to AFCD to get Hailey out as it had already been two days since she and her "brother" Otis has been left tied to the railings outside SPCA in Wanchai.  What makes the whole sad story even worse is that in his fear and confusion Otis bit one of the SPCA staff as they were untying the dogs, so he is now a "Biter Dog" on Death Row at AFCD.  I'm so angry about this, and just wish I could get the ex-owner to personally face what's happened to the dogs that were promised a home for life.

I spent a long time going through all of the correspondence from the time both Hailey and Otis were adopted, and found exactly those words: my wife and I would never give a dog up.  Well, not only did the dogs lose their home but the wife became an ex too, so I suppose it's true that "never" is a dangerous word.   Anyway my reason for going through past emails was to find information on Otis, who used to be Pingu, as I recalled he had been in another home and then one or two fosters, and that he was always a nervous type.  We had him marked as not being suitable for a home with young children, so it's not really surprising that he bit in panic at being tied up and left on the street.  Can you imagine how the dogs felt at seeing their owner walk away while they couldn't follow?  How cowardly and despicable to do something like that, and now as a result one of the dogs is facing death for being so afraid.

Hailey is free and safe, while Otis is not
This has always been my issue with AFCD, that dogs that are terrified are deemed to be dangerous, or biters, not suitable for re-homing, and then tragically the death they fear so much is what happens to them.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a dog's behaviour change completely the moment they leave their AFCD kennel, and it was even the same for Hailey when I took her out today.  At first she was growling  (in her kennel) but as soon as we walked out of the gate to the Centre she was happy, and jumped into the taxi with me without any problem.

I took Hailey to our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre even though there's not really any space for her to stay, and she needs a new home now.  She's always been a lovely dog, very sweet and medium-sized, and of all the dogs I know she deserves a new start in life.  Please complete the adoption questionnaire on our website www.hongkongdogrescue.com (under Adopt) if you think you can give Hailey that chance.

Always trying to balance bad news with some good, one of the young Tai Po dogs (an ex-Ap Lei Chau puppy) was chosen today, but as she won't be picked up until Friday I won't say her name just yet.   I hope the two older puppies who were sent to the big Homing Centre today, Tomlin and Phoenix, will also be as lucky soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment