Thursday 29 August 2019

Thurs 29th Aug: Little dogs and leptospirosis

Looking good after their haircuts
Opting to keep my sneezing and runny nose to myself I stayed at home again, only sending some dogs from the Lamma Home for Small Delinquents over to Ap Lei Chau for haircuts.  Iris is an expert at handling little snappers and has been training assistant Suet to do the same, a skill that comes in very handy when dealing with difficult dogs.
Hailey at Ap Lei Chau today

I spent a large part of the day trying to sort out the situation with currently-incarcerated Otis, and finally got the answer I was waiting for and the story behind what happened, who was responsible and how the two dogs ended up being tied up outside SPCA.  I'm hoping Otis will be released soon, and with Hailey already safely with us at Ap Lei Chau my focus is going to be finding her a new home. Given her loving and very sweet nature and the fact that she's brilliant with young children, and cats too, I really hope a nice family will come along soon. 

Oscar at Acorn on the day I took him out of AFCD
I mentioned one lucky dog from Tai Po that was going to be going to a new home on Friday, but there's actually two of them leaving spearately.  Holly is the ex-Ap Lei Chau puppy while newish boy Oscar came from AFCD not too long ago.  He just happened to match what someone was looking for, so again it was the right timing.

You may have heard or read that there are a lot of cases of leptospirosis at the moment, thanks to the recent heavy rain.  I've chosen to share the VSH information about the disease because I think it's important to be aware that the lepto vaccinations being currently recommended DO NOT protect your dogs against all strains.  The best way to keep your pets safe is to stay away from water, other than the sea, as tempting as it is in hot weather to let them have a swim or paddle.  The disease is bacterial so treatable with antibiotics as long as it's caught in the early stages and before too much damage is done.  Please inform yourself about the symptoms if you take your dogs to places where there could be sources of infection, and act quickly if you suspect your dog is sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment