Monday 6 June 2016

Mon 6th June: Once again urgent fosters are needed

Not for any specific reason, but Nando is still waiting for a home
I almost always pay a visit to AFCD in Pokfulam on Mondays as the weekend is the period most people choose to dump their pets.  In truth we don't have space for any additional dogs or puppies so I had decided to avoid putting myself in the position of even seeing what was there and asked driver Michael to go straight to Acorn, but at the last minute changed my mind.  Somehow the thought of just passing by was too much, and as it turned out I was glad I made the call.

Apart from a new litter of puppies for which I really need fosters, please, there was a Boston terrier that had been surrendered.  I say Boston terrier because that's the breed on the license, but this little guy is a mix of something that could be part French bulldog, boxer, Boston terrier and who knows what else.  Unfortunately I left my phone at home and wasn't able to take a photo, but I'm sure there'll be one up on Facebook very soon and equally certain there will be a lot of adoption enquiries. There's no doubting that this small dog is very cute as well as being young and super-friendly, but I should add that he has the energy of fireball and the manners of a football hooligan.

I ended up calling him Bomber because I made the mistake of letting him sit on my lap for the ride to Acorn after he had so sweetly asked to be carried, but I quickly regretted not having put him in a travel crate as I normally do.  Bomber never stopped, not for a second.  He was climbing on me, round me, onto my shoulders and head, becoming more and more excited (in every way), so by the time we arrived at the vet clinic I was a crumpled wreck. It didn't help that Bomber has what is probably a typical allergy so is shedding dandruff, and that he smelled strongly of pee as a result of being locked in a kennel.  I doubt that he's toilet trained though, and he certainly needs desexing, but that said he's a very nice little dog who I'm sure will calm down once he's settled.   He does, however, have the very typical (of that type of breed) attitude towards other dogs so would do best in a home of his own, or with another dog who would tolerate some thuggish behaviour to start with.

Foggy and Paddy are such sweet dogs
It's always sad that dogs like Bomber will almost certainly find a home quite quickly despite the fact that he needs training, and I hope that he does of course, but we have other very sweet and easy dogs who are passed by every time because they are blind.  Foggy the cocker spaniel is also admittedly old, but he is so loving and gentle and grateful for any attention.  Paddy the Maltese is also a very sweet boy who just wants cuddles, and Chocolate the poodle is the same.  Being blind in a busy Homing Centre is hard for these three dogs, and they need a home more than any of the others.
Chocolate is also blind

Hans has a slipped disc which needs urgent surgery
We also have a very urgent need for a foster home for dachshund Hans, who will be having surgery on Wednesday on his spine.  He needs complete rest afterwards so he can't be around all of our other dogs, and we can't hold off on the surgery because if it's not done immediately it will be too late for a successful outcome.  The other aspect of Hans' injury also can't be ignored, and that is the cost.  He needs to have an MRI to ascertain the exact location and specific problem, and even with a charity discount the combined total of the scan and surgery will be around $30,000.  Donations to help would be very much appreciated, and can be credited directly to our HSBC account 502-423825-001 Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR).  Tax receipts will be sent on request, of course.

I will also need a foster for four month-old Hopper who came from AFCD with a broken leg.  He also had tick fever which is currently being treated, and once he has fully recovered from that he will need to have his leg re-broken and properly set.  I have full trust in Dr Tony Matthews and his ability to do a great job on both Hans and Hopper, but the post-surgery environment is also vital.  Hopper can't go back with the other puppies to be knocked around, and he is a very sweet and easy puppy as well as being toilet trained.

If you can give either a temporary place to stay, or if you can foster young puppies,  please contact Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com.


1 comment: