Friday 17 June 2016

Fri 17th June: High energy dogs needing homes

Only the prospect of a treat stopped Grace for a second
Since I was talking about dogs' names yesterday, I should mention that the young beagle I took from AFCD today was re-named Grace when I found that her original name was Pooh Pooh.  Talk about disrespecting an animal, and I don't even think it's a language thing although I could be wrong. Either way we're not going to be calling any dog by such a "crap" name.
Finally at the dog park a photo was possible

Again on names, another dog I picked up from AFCD today was a tiny little miniature pinscher, an adorable boy who loves being cuddled and carried as much as he is playful and funny.  At two years he is barely an adult, and I was so taken with him I sent his photo to the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre while typing (with one hand) that he was so sweet.  Autocorrect changed it to read "He is Apollo", so guess what his name is now?
Tiny Apollo on a chair

There was a third dog, another typical old schnauzer being thrown out on reaching that certain - and in this case unknown - age, because there was no microchip or license to say how old she was.  I don't know what it is about schnauzers, but there seems to be a cut-off point where they are routinely dumped.  I'm beginning to wonder if anyone keeps their senior schnauzer as I take so many oldies from AFCD, far more than any other breed.  This poor girl is also blind due to untreated dry eye, something which makes being abandoned doubly hard for any dog, but especially an older one.

Another young small-breed is also just available, a Jack Russell terrier puppy.  Just like the beagle, this breed is made for hunting for hours and hours, and neither beagles nor Jack Russells are dogs that should be treated as anything but running machines.  Grace didn't stop bouncing from the moment I took her out of her kennel, and throughout the consult with Dr Hazel at Acorn she was jumping on and off a crate, wanting to get out of the door, even though I put Apollo down on the floor to play with her.   The Jack Russell puppy is the energy level as Grace, and although both need homes as a matter or urgency we won't let them go to anyone who doesn't understand what they'd be taking on.

Even if you can't commit to adopting but could foster for a while it would be better than keeping two super-high energy level dogs at out Homing Centre.   Please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com if you can offer a temporary home to either.




1 comment:

  1. I think "pooh pooh" was coming from the name "Winnie the Pooh", that's most Anglo-Chinese always make this kind of abbreviation from a popular character's name for easy communication to the children. :-)

    ReplyDelete