Friday, 2 October 2026

Sat 2nd Oct: Apologies for the continued rant

 I know it's been too long since my last post, but like many other dog lovers and concerned citizens I've been watching the madness that seems to have taken over regarding dogs in Hong Kong.  I can't deny the tragedy of two human deaths, but both came about because the issue regarding stray dogs has never been properly addressed.  The only people who have been actively desexing the "hillside" dogs, as they're often called, are independent volunteers who fund this important work themselves.  Now they're being punished for their efforts, while random innocent and harmless dogs are being rounded up just for the crime of being there.   Why did it take two lost lives to make the government sit up and notice that there are hundreds of homeless dogs trying to survive in the wild, many of whom are abandoned pets?  And while New Territories villages are being evicted from their homes to make way for development, why are they being forced to give up their dogs when they move to public housing? Who can give these animals a home when there are already thousands in the many shelters that have no space for more? 

We all know that puppies are coming in from across the border with ease, and many of these are being bought by people who would instantly be rejected for adoption and who subsequently get rid of the dogs.  I shouldn't be shocked or surprised any more, but I am. 

Of course at HKDR we continue to do what we can to help the dogs in need, even if there's a limit to what's possible.  We get constant requests to accept new dogs, but while the breeders and pet shops continue to fill the demand for puppies (ho are subsequently given up or abandoned), we can't say yes to every situation. I just hope that the dogs in question don't end up being abandoned in the hills, but chances are high that they will be. 

Adoption numbers have dropped dramatically over the past years (due no doubt to the ease with which puppies can be bought), and sadly that means some months when no Tai Po dogs find homes.  These are usually the larger mixed breeds, and now the situation has been made even worse with the totally illogical "fighting breed" insanity.  Who dares to adopt a mongrel that can suddenly be declared a restricted type, based purely on their looks and the random assessment of an AFCD vet? (and please don't get me started on my opinion of these vets and their abilities, or lack of). 

I must move on to the good stuff, and apologise for my ranting.

We have more new dogs coming to our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre, and these are the small ones, or small-medium.  I'm sharing the photos, but need to add that sometimes they don't exactly match what arrives, but that's all the information we have for now.  If you're interested in any of them, or any of the dogs already with us, please start by completing the questionnaire at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/.   We get a lot of enquiries from people asking for information about the dogs before they have completed the questionnaire, but we need to know that the potential home is suitable in the first place before spending time replying. 

I also want to mention that two German Pinscher puppies are still waiting for homes, and I'm not sure why except that possibly people think they're Doberman Pinschers.  They're the same family, but Dobermans are large dogs while German Pinschers are small-medium. 

The gorgeous Alaskan Malamute (Minnie) is also still waiting, and again I don't understand why, other than not every home is suitable for keeping such a large dog. She's sweet-natured and young, so please, if you would consider adopting Minnie, complete the questionnaire as a first step.

Our big fundraising event, Peak to Fong, is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year, a bit later than our usual time in November. This year the date is Sunday, 6th December, and it's a bit of a shock to think I was twenty years younger when we first started the walk down from the Peak to Lan Kwai Fong!  I hope everyone can make it to help us celebrate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment