Sunday 13 March 2016

Sun 13th March: Reasons to be grateful

Before I forget to mention it, we are in urgent need of newspaper for our dogs and puppies, so if you have any piling up please drop off at either of our Homing Centres, thank you.

This year hasn't been a good one so far, what with the van, website and me breaking down, and anticipated adoptions just not happening as we'd hoped.  Maybe the three are combined but whatever, the result is that we have puppies who were taken into foster as babies now coming back to us as five month-olds and with nowhere for them to go.  Photos of all of our available puppies can be viewed on our Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR) Facebook page, and many are staying at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre during the week so can be seen any day from 10am to 6pm.

The unpredictable and often horrible weather hasn't helped, and at the end of another disappointing afternoon at Whiskers N Paws I really thought I would be stuck for the night on Hong Kong Island with my crates full of  puppies, as no sampan would agree to take me back home.  By then it was cold and raining, and both the puppies and I were wet and feeling the effects of the wind.  By pure chance there were some crew from a large fishing boat moored in my bay who had obviously arranged for a sampan to take them back and I was able to join them.  Had it not been for that piece of good luck I have no idea what I would have done.

I can only look on the bright side and hope that tomorrow will bring better news, and with our new van due to arrive shortly and the website build underway, I have reason to be grateful too.

Two more reasons to be grateful came in the shape of puppy Arie (above) having her trial adoption confirmed, and Tiffin (below) coming back from foster but going straight back out again in the arms of her new family.  Tiffin's littermates, who up until now have hidden away for most of Sunday afternoons, are becoming a lot more confident and these days are even enjoying being picked up and cuddled.

Our great team of volunteers were at Stanley Plaza today to help at our HKDR stall at Dogland.  As always many thanks to everyone who signed up to be there, and if you would like to volunteer for events such as these, dog walking or anything else, please email new.volunteers@hongkongdogrescue.com.  For fostering (very important) please contact Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com.  We need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment